Sunday, November 22, 2015

Thanksgiving Day

Thanksgiving is four days away. I can’t wait. My siblings and I are going to go up on Wednesday instead of Thursday, to help my grandma with the baking and cooking. I am going to bring up some of my yarn so that I can knit and I am also going to bring up a book that I have to read for school (it is called The Kite Runner). My grandpa is going to be coming to get us. When we get there we are going to start baking right away. (this means that we are going to make sure that we have all the ingredient for the stuff that is needed for Thursday. Then we are going to make the dishes that are able to be made before hand.) I’m very excited because my relatives (cousins, aunts, and uncles) are going to be there as well. Usually, we have my grandpa’s homemade fish and fries the day before for supper. The fish is really special because my grandpa is the one who catches them and freezes them for us. Also the fries are homemade by my grandpa which makes them special too. The next day everyone is up early and in my grandparents study talking. Earlier my grandpa, dad, and uncle started the turkey. My grandma has the coffee maker running 24/7. Everyone has at least two cups of coffee because later in the day everyone needs to be wide awake. We talk about what has happened since the last time we all saw each other. We also talk about what is coming up. I usually tell my family members about last years show choir and this years show choir (including what our songs are and I show them our dances-they are on a special youtube channel), and we talk about how school is going for everyone. 
Once we are all caught up, the women in the family go up stairs to start the cooking and baking. I usually start getting the tables set up (there are so many people that some we need three or four tables.) I then find the table cloths and put them on the tables. Next I look for the white, glass plates and the sliver ware. Once all of it is found I set up the table. I then fill us the glasses with ice water and give everyone (even the kids) a wine glass. (The kids have sparkling cider.) At this time everyone starts showing up. We all say hi and ask how it is going. Pretty soon it is one o’clock at it is time to sit down and eat. We are all conversing while we eat. Once everyone is done eating, the guys take the dishes to the dishwasher and clean the dishes. Once everyone is ready for desert I help my grandma by taking everyones orders, cutting the pies, and serving it. After this the neighbors go home and everyone continues talking. Later at night we play card games and eat left overs. 
All in all it is a great day.

What do you do for Thanksgiving? Who comes to town? Let me know. Thanks, Emily.

No comments:

Post a Comment