Sunday, October 18, 2015

Pumpkin Picking and Carvings

Honestly I don't know how or why people thought about/started picking pumpkins to put on their door step during Halloween. I don't know if it scares away the bad ghosts or what, but in the 21st century the smiley-face pumpkins can't scare a baby. Every year my family goes to the pumpkin patch with your family friends. The mom's father owns the pumpkin patch so we get all of our pumpkins for free. It is about an hour drive away from my house, but is worth it every year. Since we have six people in our family, buying pumpkins gets very costly. When we get to the pumpkin patch we get our jackets on. Each year varies on how cold it is or not. Last year was not that cold. My mom would tell everyone to find their favorite pumpkin and carry it to the car. My parents rule is that if you can't carry the pumpkin to the car you can't bring it home. We are all only suppose to get one each but we all sneak a few extra in the car. My favorites are the white pumpkins, the gourds, or the mini pumpkins. They are so cute. My mom will then take many photos of us in the pumpkin patch. We are finally able to go home. When we get home we unload the pumpkins in the garage. Since this is a couple weeks before Halloween we don't carve them yet, otherwise they will rot before Halloween even arrives. This year we were not able to go because of our living situations (we are living in a rental home in Shellsburg while we build our home in Cedar Rapids). We are going to buy pumpkins this year instead.
Carving the pumpkins comes next. My mom only allows each of my siblings and I to carve a pumpkin so we all rush to the garage to get the biggest ones. Once we all make it back inside, we clean all of the dirt off with a wet paper towel. My dad had laied some towels out so that if we drip any of the insides it is easy to clean up. We had two bowls each. One for the pumpkin seeds that my mom would clean and bake, and one for all of the gross stuff. My dad would take our pumpkins one by one and cut a hole in the top. Personaly, I think that the worst part of carving a pumpkin is the first scoop of all of the gross stuff in the middle of a pumpkin. (I don't know what the stuff in the middle of a pumpkin is called so I am going to call it gross stuff for the time being) Once every one is done with the inside of their pumpkins, we get to start carving. Over the years I have done different designs. Last year I did one pumpkin eating another pumpkin. While we are carving our pumpkins. My mom is cleaning the pumpkin seeds, covering them in different topings like cinamine and sugar, and salt, and finally bakes them. Last year I hated eating the seeds because they always got stuck in my braces. This year since I got my braces off I can finally enjoy them. Once everyone is done carving their pumpkins, my mom makes us put then outside on the stoop. If it is not dark outside we wait till it is. When it is finally dark outside my dad puts candles in each of our pumpkins and lights them. Then my mom makes up each sit by our pumpkin and get photos. We also get a group photo with our pumpkins. This is usually the night before Halloween. We are finally all set to go for Halloween. If you are looking for carving ideas they sell them at stores and you can print some off online. If you have any cool ideas for pumpkin carving this year let me know. Thanks, Emily.

No comments:

Post a Comment